UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
New UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham unveiled plans Wednesday to offer those sleeping rough a route off the streets by Christmas, as part of his bid to curb national homelessness.
"No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station. But we've seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it," Burnham said in a statement.
The announcement comes a month after Burnham replaced Keir Starmer as prime minister, and builds on his promise on his first day in office to end rough sleeping.
His government is now setting out the next steps in how that could be achieved, with emergency accommodation and long-term housing support to be put in place across England this winter.
Under the programme, areas facing the highest levels of homelessness and housing pressure will receive the largest share of a boosted £442 million ($666 million) in funding.
The number of rough sleepers in England reached a record 4,793 in 2025, according to government figures.
Rough sleepers -- those sleeping outdoors -- are a minority of England's total homelessness, estimated at 382,000 in 2025 by leading charity Shelter. This larger figure includes those lacking a permanent residence or security of tenure, and includes families and children.
The figures show little sign of budging, with the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) think tank warning earlier this year that the figure could increase by 25 percent by 2030.
The government's initiative aims to build on efforts developed during the Covid-19 pandemic, when large numbers of rough sleepers were moved into temporary accommodation.
"We did it in the pandemic. We can do it again. But it needs all of us," Burnham said.
He also unveiled plans for what the government described as the first national summit dedicated to tackling rough sleeping to be held later in the year.
The event will bring together representatives from business, finance, charities, healthcare organisations and faith groups to discuss how different sectors can contribute to reducing homelessness.
The government said the funding package would not only provide immediate accommodation, but also support the creation of more than 1,000 permanent homes over the next three years.
Housing Secretary Angela Rayner said the government was moving "urgently from words to action" following Burnham's pledge.
"This funding will help thousands of people leave the streets behind, move into secure homes and get the support they need to rebuild their lives," she said.
G.F.Koller--NWT